STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Tanya Laurendet, Bachelor of Business, Hotel and Resort Management.

Tanya Laurendet portrait

Furthering my quest to find interesting stories from the student body I am excited to introduce Tanya Laurendet who had great success on her industry placement where she worked as a Housekeeping Supervisor on a busy resort. This is our interview… AB

Tanya, can you describe how you’ve grown and developed since commencing your degree at BMIHMS?

Since commencing my studies in April 2013, I have undertaken numerous professional training programs from the School’s industry qualified teachers. I have been taught professional techniques in terms of behavior, networking scenarios, industry conduct and how to act accordingly in all environments. This has instilled great confidence in me both professionally and personally in my every day life. My level of professionalism is constantly rising with the encouraging support of the BMIHMS staff and fellow students.

Can you tell us about your BMIHMS Industry Placements?

Of the two placements I did, my favourite was with the One&Only, Hayman Island in the Whitsundays, northern Queensland. I started the placement as a Housekeeping Attendant, however I was promoted shortly after arriving to Housekeeping Coordinator/Supervisor. I even trained the occasional new staff member!

Occasionally I did have to work under high levels of pressure and was experienced some fast-paced decision-making, having to make professional judgments to benefit the department and the resort. This was one of the most challenging experiences I have ever had! The training and support of BMIHMS staff came into its own without which I may never have had this amazing opportunity. It is an example of what can be achieved when opportunities arise.

Would you recommend this experience to your peers?

I would 100% recommend this experience to everyone! Working for a resort has been a once in a lifetime opportunity and even though there were some challenging times, it was an amazing experience overall. The people you meet and the experiences you have access to are a once in a lifetime and should be taken advantage of whilst you have the chance.

What advice would you give to students thinking of taking the plunge and working for a resort?

Students need to be prepared for the remoteness of the location but to remember that it is only temporary. Be open-minded because although there are challenges, there are also incredible opportunities to learn and develop new skills. There is always plenty of room to grow and plenty going on and you need to make the most of it.

Alyssa Bennett, International Hotel and Resort Management Student, BMIHMS