Student Spotlight: Introducing Liz Skehan, Marketing Ambassador

Hello, my name is Elizabeth (Liz) Skehan, and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Business, majoring in International Event Management at BMIHMS. I am in my third year of study, and am based at the Sydney Campus.

I have been selected as, and am honoured to be, the BMIHMS Marketing Ambassador for the next two terms. I look forward to bringing you news and stories from the student body. I would like to make a start by introducing myself and tell you a little more about my background and future aspirations.

InText_ElizabethSekhan

I grew up on a farm on the Victorian/New South Wales border, near a small town called Cobram. Cobram is situated on the beautiful Murray River. I love spending lots of time at the river, knee boarding, fishing and catching up with my friends. Adjusting to the busy Sydney lifestyle has definitely taking some getting used to; however I do love the experience of city living.

The most significant adjustment for me has been living away from my friends. At home I know plenty of people and always see people I know when I am out and about. However, I do love that the city has an endless supply of new and amazing restaurants to try. Making new friends to experience all these new things with and trying a different cuisine each time I go out is pretty awesome!

Growing up, I was always drawn to the hospitality industry. My aunty and uncle own and manage a restaurant during the winter season in the ski fields at Mount Hotham. I believe my passion for hospitality may have been sparked by their adventures.

Before beginning at BMIHMS, I was a ski Instructor working in both Australia and Canada. I spent a year and a half instructing; it was such an amazing time. When I was in Canada I knew that I was definitely going to come back to study at BMIHMS. I love the fact that we work hard, and get to graduate after 2.5 years. I was really drawn to the School because of the hands on learning and industry experience students gain. Having the opportunity to live in the Blue Mountains – at the Leura Campus – was really appealing too.

I completed my first placement at Crown Melbourne. I worked at 28 Sky Bar and Lounge, an exclusive bar on the top floor of Crown Metropol. During my six-month placement I was lucky enough to serve many famous people. My highlights were The Madden Brothers (Benji and Joel), Heston Blumenthal, Justice Crew, and hosting Eddy McGuire’s son’s 12th Birthday; yes, at the Crown!

My second placement was at a small events company in Sydney called the Event Emporium. I was part of their close-knit team. Before long they turned into my friends as well as my colleagues. It was a fantastic experience. I was able to travel to Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane, attend a Robbie Williams concert, go sailing on Sydney Harbour, and attend several luncheons at the Opera House.

When I graduate I want to take some time to explore Australia, possibly going on a road trip for a few months. Eventually I would like to head back to Canada or the United States and work in ski resorts. Here I would like to apply what I have learnt during my time at BMIHMS, and ideally coordinate and manage events. I feel that events within a ski resort would be very versatile and provide an interesting and an exciting career choice.

Until next time, . . Liz.