Career Focus Days – Experience life at BMIHMS firsthand

Growing up Chris Dennis regularly helped his grandmother host Sunday luncheons at her home in regional Victoria. He enjoyed sitting down weeks in advance and planning every occasion with her. It was a family tradition to ensure that each guest was made to feel welcome upon his or her arrival. However, he had never thought of a career in hospitality. That was until his head of school at Gippsland Grammar School, Victoria, suggested he check out Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) at Torrens University, and look into a future in event management.

“I have always been a people person, and enjoy entertaining others; getting satisfaction from seeing other people happy. After some extensive research, it was clear to me that I could make a serious career for myself, doing something that I really enjoy. A career in event management can be much more than organising a luncheon for friends and family,” Chris says.

Prior to enrolling with BMIHMS, Chris participated in one of the Career Focus Days (CFD) programs. CFD is a 3-day residential program – beginning at the Leura Campus, and concluding in Sydney. They are a great opportunity for students interested in studying at BMIHMS to see firsthand what life is like as a student. Students get to hear about specialist business degrees, participate in classes, hear about industry placements all over the world, and meet current students and academic staff.

“Attending the CFD was a great way to experience what life would be like for me at the Leura and Sydney campuses. I was able to speak with current students and immerse myself in both practical tutorials and theoretical lectures. Being able to see what types of jobs will be available to me upon graduation was great also,” he says.

In addition to experiencing student life on campus, attendees of the CFD also get to visit a signature hotel property in the city. Visits include behind the scenes insights into the daily operation of a large-scale hotel, as well as the opportunity to network with industry professionals.

“Getting to see a big hotel in the centre of Sydney was fantastic. This experience was the perfect ‘try before you buy’ opportunity. It really did confirm for me that BMIHMS was the right choice,” Chris says.

REGISTER FOR OUR UPCOMING CAREER FOCUS DAYS IN NOVEMBER 2017

Living in a regional area meant that Chris would need to move away from his family to pursue any further study. Chris was fortunate enough to receive a scholarship from BMIHMS, assisting him with the costs of living away from home and relocating interstate. BMIHMS has numerous scholarships available for students to apply for each intake.

Chis is currently completing a dual business degree, majoring in International Hotel and Resort Management and International Event Management.

For more information about the next CFD, click here.

If you would like more information about available scholarships, or to make an enquiry, click here.