KALANI WALERYS: WHAT I LEARNED AT WOBI 2016

It’s rather ironic isn’t it; going from being told I would never even attend university to sitting in an overseas auditorium with hundreds of worldwide business professionals representing Laureate Australia! It really does go to show that there are no limitations in life, if you work hard enough you can achieve anything you put your mind to.

BM

WOBI has been one of the most inspiring experiences of my life. Imagine a room filled with like-minded people exploring future ideas of an industry you one-day hope to be leading. It truly doesn’t get much better than that.

BM

Every speaker that presented had such in depth knowledge of the industry and what is to come, with each of their presentations bringing new light to a variety of concepts that will soon be commonplace in the business world. For instance, Aaron Hurst discussed ‘purpose economy ‘and how in today’s society, people are looking for much more than just a job. Gone are the days that people work purely to earn a pay check each week. People now are looking for fulfilment, empowerment and to make a difference in their roles. I Found Aaron extremely relatable as the hospitality industry Is an innovative industry focussed on just that: fulfilling people’s needs and going above and beyond to make their experiences the best they can be.

BM

The biggest thing I have learnt throughout this experience is that anything can be achieved with enough willpower and determination. Not only did I determine this through my own experience, it was proven to me on a much larger scale by two very inspiring speakers: Steven Kotler, who spoke about flow and George Kohlriser who discussed the power of experience. Steven spoke of his own life experiences, with flow, describing it as “the optimal state of consciousness where we feel our best and perform our best.” He experienced this himself when he was suffering severely with Limes disease. He was at his all-time low, yet managed to fight the illness by looking at life with fresh perspective and giving himself direction again. Essentially Steven was told that he would never recover from the disease and that it would eventually kill him. Today Steven is an award-winning author of seven bestselling books, and the Co-founder and Director of Research at the Flow Genome Project. He has taught me that nothing can hold you back if you refuse to let it. The research that Steven has undertaken about flow it very insightful and taught me so much about the little things you can do to promote productivity in life and perform your best.

BM

The experience of going to Mexico City (such an amazing city!) for the WOBI forum was one I will never forget. The experience not only opened my eyes to the world of business, but also to many wonderful networking opportunities with people from all around the world. The people that I met through the experience that attend other international Laureate Universities were great, we were bought together as a group and left as a family. The opportunities that BMIHMS and Laureate have given me to grow as a professional are phenomenal, as is the support system that exists. I cannot wait to relay everything I have learnt through the experience to my fellow classmates and colleagues. I am so excited to see what the future holds for the hospitality industry! A quote that has stuck with me from the experiences is that “leaders are the emotional thermostats of a room, constantly changing the temperature” – Chip Connelly.