Student Spotlight: Introducing Brandon White, Marketing Ambassador

Hello, my name is Brandon, and I am currently completing my final semester of a Bachelor of Business (International Hotel and Resort Management) at BMIHMS at Torrens University. It is a privilege for my brother, Joshua, and I to be the BMIHMS Marketing Ambassadors for the next two terms. We look forward to delivering you news and interesting stories.

BM

But first, a little about us…

Joshua and I (that’s me on the left) grew up in the northern suburbs of Perth, Western Australia. We are blessed to have a mix of Asian and Oceanic influence in our upbringing. Mum is from the ‘Little Red Dot’ known as Singapore and our Dad came from a small town called Eltham in the North Island of New Zealand. I have always looked up to Josh for guidance and advice. The bond we share is unique and indescribable, and one that has only grown stronger during our shared journey at BMIHMS.

Growing up, we both travelled to Singapore a number of times to visit our relatives. The time came for us to move there where we undertook an Advance Certificate in Food and Beverage and a Diploma in Hotel Management at the Shatec Institute. We were both apprehensive about leaving home to study and leaving our friends, but excited about the new culture and environment awaiting.

BM

To complete our degree we transferred to BMIHMS, which has two Industry Placements as part of the degree requirements. I completed my first at an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) property, the Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, Singapore. It has been voted the best airport hotel in the world for the fourth straight year!

BM

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to transfer throughout the various food and beverage outlets – including the Lobby Lounge, Bar ’75, in room dining and Azur, which is an international buffet restaurant. Crowne Plaza Changi Airport was an important stepping stone, one that has been vital in the early stages of my career development.

For my second Industry Placement (IP) I took up a front office post at Aloft Bangkok – Sukhumvit 11, a Starwood property, located in the vibrant metropolis of Bangkok, Thailand. With daily occupancy at a constant 85% or more, I gained knowledge and experience (and lost some weight!). Furthermore, I was allowed to rotate around the rooms division department and carry out duties with reservations and concierge. Like all new journeys, it did take me some time to adapt to another new culture. Being the only foreigner working at the hotel made it even more challenging, but I loved every minute of it. The water fights along the streets of Bangkok during Songkaran – the Thai New Year festival – were pretty special too.

BM

BM

The two Industry Placements I’ve completed have allowed me to develop professionally, and given me a richer perspective on life. My current plans are to return to Singapore after graduation and work towards a career as a hotelier. Josh and I look forward to opening a number of bistros and bars in Singapore, Thailand and Australia.

This aspiration is only possible because BMIHMS has provided us with an abundance of opportunities. We are living proof that if you want to challenge yourself, the world is open to you.

We look forward to serving you in the future!

Many thanks,

Brandon (布蘭登)

To know more about Joshua, click here.