Student Spotlight: Introducing Joshua White, Marketing Ambassador

Hello, my name is Joshua, and I am currently in my final six months of studying a Bachelor of Business in International Hotel and Resort Management at BMIHMS at Torrens University. For the next two terms, it is going to be an honour for my brother, Brandon, and I to be BMIHMS Marketing Ambassadors. We are here to provide news and information that will hopefully inform and engage you at the same time. As one-half of the Marketing Ambassador duo (click here to meet my brother Brandon), I would love to provide you with an insight into my past, present, and future ambitions for my hospitality career.

BM

During our high school years, concentrating on sport was our priority, travelling around Western Australia and competing in sporting tournaments was something we loved to do. Growing up we both had very different personalities. Brandon was the extrovert, racing his motocross bike under the perfect blue skies of Perth on weekends, whereas is I (that is me on the right) was more of an introvert, preferring to stay at home avoiding the outdoors.

BM

One of the most life-changing events we experienced was moving to Singapore. This was the point at which hospitality took hold, captured our interest and tweaking plans for the future.

As brothers, we both attended a well-known hospitality school in Singapore, made new friends, and began developing connections, reconnecting with the culture, as well as my very first contact with the industry. This led to the leap of coming back to Australia to take hospitality seriously as a profession and enrol with BMIHMS.

At BMIHMS I completed my first Industry Placement (IP) with InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, Singapore – which is situated within Terminal 3 of Changi Airport. This property caters toward a very niche market of transit guests, very different to other hotels in the city. I was fortunate enough to be rotated around different food and beverage outlets within the hotel, which allowed me to obtain valuable skills and knowledge.

For my second placement I decided to work in the ‘land of a thousand smiles’, at the Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas located 3 hours south of Bangkok. This was a trainee management position, also in food and beverage. It was a fantastic experience working for the Sheraton, where I was not just part of a team but part of a second family. During placement I was able to immerse myself in the Thai culture, as well as travel to most parts of Thailand.

BM

I am yet to graduate, however with my experience in Singapore and Thailand I am aiming to go back to Asia when I do. I will immerse myself within the hospitality industry, which is thriving with opportunities. I want to progress my career within food and beverage. BMIHMS provided me with the foundation to do this. Until next time, Joshua! To know more about Brandon (and a little about me), click here.