I never knew life could be so peaceful… while working

Sitting on the runway, waiting for take-off, I had some butterflies in my stomach. Completing my second Industry Placement (IP) in Thailand was something I thought I would only ever imagine. I was not worried about culture shock, as I was used to Asian culture, but I was still anxious about my new adventure. I could not wait to arrive at the Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas and start my role as a management trainee.

Industry Placements are an integral part of all BMIHMS at Torrens University degrees – they reinforce what has been taught in the classroom, in a working environment. With the knowledge from my first IP in Singapore, and time at Leura Campus, I was prepared to take on a new challenge.

I was excited to be working for a different company this time. I really enjoy adapting to new working cultures, different styles of management, and getting to learn about different brands. Working with Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas was a fantastic experience! The resort consisted of 53 private villas, mainly targeted towards honeymooners and families looking to escape the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. I started work at 8am ready for the breakfast shift. These shifts were calm and serene, with the sun and blue skies hovering in the background on the horizon. Talking to the guests for hours on end was a real highlight for me.

BM

As a management trainee within Sheraton, I was lucky enough to be led by a fantastic manager, Khun Jean. With Khun Jean’s guidance, I was able to fulfil managerial duties such as costing, menu engineering, creating and distributing the Valentine’s Day advertisement, conducting English training with the Food and Beverage Team, and supporting the implementation of our ‘wake – up’ juice for breakfast. Throughout my six-month Management Trainee Program, I was able to bring my own ideas and concepts to the Food and Beverage Team. This enabled me to gain a better understanding of how to run a restaurant within a hotel.

There are many activities to do around Hua Hin. On my days off, I would often travel to Bangkok to see my brother (click here to read about his IP in Bangkok) or go snorkelling. Other activities on offer included food trips, the Songkran festival (if you are lucky enough), day trips to Hua Hin’s famous wineries and visiting the Buddha temples.

BM

BM

My IP experience with Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas is very close to my heart. I was able to build long lasting friendships with the team and with management across various departments within the resort. Khun Jean, Khun Yim, Khun Pick Khun Plug and the rest of the Food and Beverage Team taught me so much more than the concept of work.

Since returning from Thailand, I have set myself some long-term goals. After graduation I plan on heading back to Thailand, and establishing myself within the hospitality industry. I believe that through my two IPs and the education BMIHMS has provided to me, I will have a great start to make a mark for myself.

BM

Until next time,
Joshua