Student Spotlight: Scott Bear Part 1 – UK Industry Placement

Scott Bear strived to step out of his comfort zone. A BMIHMS at Torrens University, Bachelor of Business (International Hotel and Resort Management) student moved to London for his second Industry Placement (IP). He has taken up a position at Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill

Scott has taken some time to answer a few questions about life in London, his new role and what prompted him to relocate overseas.

What prompted you to venture overseas for your second Industry Placement?

After completing my first IP in Sydney, a place where I spent half of my childhood, I felt that I needed a challenge. My second IP gave me the opportunity to travel overseas and step out of my comfort zone. Having never been to the UK and Europe I saw it as an opportunity to understand and experience different cultures within the workplace and whilst travelling.

BM

Tell me about your current role?

Currently I am employed as a Guest Services Ambassador Trainee. I will be cross-trained in front desk, concierge, reservations and switchboard. I am also receiving training in other departments, such as sales and marketing, housekeeping and finance. Aurelia Guicherd, the front office talent development trainer, spent the first few weeks introducing and training me for my role. Having been fast tracked through my training (what I learned during my front office practical learning with BMIHMS mirrored what it is like in the industry), I am now working on the front desk. And what an experience it has been! The hotel is constantly abuzz – with a 99% occupancy. I’m looking forward to the next few here with more experiences and challenges to come.

BM

What does a typical day look like for you in London?

I am out the door at 8am, on route to work in central London. As a Hyatt employee I am very fortunate that the hotel washes and dry-cleans my uniform, so on arrival everything is ready for me. I usually work from 9am and goes until 6pm. On Wednesday afternoons I play football in the London League representing the hotel. Other days I do some shopping to restock supplies. When not working I explore as much as I can. Recently I’ve visited; Bath, Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bristol City and Scotland. I am now planning trips to Greece, Paris, and Amsterdam.

BM

What is your favourite thing about London?

As cliché as it sounds, it’s almost impossible to narrow down my favourite thing, it is a city like no other. The atmosphere of London excites me every time I walk through it. There is something happening every night – there’s not a chance you can ever experience boredom. The history of the city is something else with museums dating back centuries and monuments throughout London all with a story behind them. Living in Australia you are so remote from other parts of the world, but in London just three hours by train you can be standing next to the Eiffel Tower, or four hours north I could be searching for the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland.

Stay tuned for part two of Scott’s interview. Find out where his passion for hospitality started, why he was attracted to Hyatt as a brand, where he completed his first IP, and what his future aspirations look like.

Until next time… JW