Student Spotlight: Scott Bear Part 2 – Brand Loyalty and Career Aspirations

For BMIHMS at Torrens University student Scott Bear, brand loyalty is a trait he places a lot of emphasis on. I recently caught up with Scott and discussed his second Industry Placement (IP) in London at the Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill (click here to read Part 1). In part two of his interview we find out where it all began with Hyatt, his first IP and what his future plans are upon completion of his Bachelor of Business (International Hotel and Resort Management).

BM

Tell me about your journey with Hyatt, and why it appeals to you?

During my final year at high school I sought some advice about the hospitality industry from Patrick Hardy, who is the former General Manager of the Hyatt Sanctuary Cove (now the InterContinental). He informed me of his experiences within the industry, and in particular with the Hyatt brand. He told me that in the hospitality industry it is important to establish yourself with a brand – but to make sure it suits you.

As a result of my networking, I was able to complete three weeks work experience at Park Hyatt Sydney. From day one of walking into Hyatt I felt at home and knew that this was the brand for me. Their standards, values, expectations and guest interaction were traits that hooked me to the brand. The brand aims to retain their employees by providing support and training programs to develop them – initiatives like their graduate program.

Can you tell us about your first Industry Placement?

I returned to the Park Hyatt Sydney for my first IP. I worked in the food and beverage outlets working as a waiter and bartender. I also completed shifts in the fine dining restaurant and with the events team. This placement was an eye opener. It was one of my first hands-on experiences within the hospitality industry. Working in such a prestigious five-star hotel, I gained invaluable knowledge and was able to understand the expectations of a luxurious establishment. The staff at the hotel were very welcoming and helped me further my knowledge throughout the whole hotel.

What are your future aspirations after life at BMIHMS?

My future aspirations are to become a general manager of a five-star property. Long-term they will be to join the executive team of a major hotel brand. The work and dedication needed to reach this goal will not be light.

However, after meeting Mr Scott Boyes, an alumnus of BMIHMS, who is now Area General Manager of ACCOR, I now have a solid career plan in place. He took the time to discuss my future plans and I was able to gain some insight into his experiences and journey to date. One of the pieces of advice he gave me was to not just aim for one goal, but to set small goals along the way. This has really stuck with me throughout my hospitality journey.

After our meeting, I sat down and set out some smaller five year goals that will help me achieve my long-term goal. Being selected to be part of the Graduate Privileged Partner (GPP) program was the first of these small goals.

Scott will return to Australia upon completion of his second six-month IP and complete his finial two terms at Sydney Campus. He definitely has a strong foundation laid for him to launch his career upon graduation. Definitely someone to watch. All the best Scott!

Until next time JW…