Student spotlight: Nachiket Deshpande

Introducing . . . Master of Global Business Management Student and BMIHMS’ newest Marketing Ambassador

Whilst campus is normally corporate attire, on occasion when the SRC are raising money for Sala Ba,i mufti can be worn.

From a very young age, I was intrigued by the exuberance of a hotel, I wondered how it worked and how people so efficiently managed to stage perfection in all conditions. Did all the secrets of this trade lie in what happened backstage? This innate and innocent curiosity, made me set my mind to being a part of the hotel and hospitality industry with the goal of hopefully one day establishing my own boutique hotel.

While growing up my father, a self-made man, gave me some advice… “Aim big! That’s the key to being big. And whatever you do should be an integration to your ultimate goal in life. No matter what you do, you should achieve it through self-discipline and on your own strengths.”

After high school, getting admitted into IHM Mumbai – associated with the National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology – was a turning point in my life. I trained with The Oberoi Group for 6 months, where I worked with the Front Desk, Housekeeping and Food & Beverage departments. Having that initial internship helped provide an all-round learning experience that laid my career foundation.

My first role was with Starwood Group of Hotels. I worked at the iconic ITC Maurya, Delhi, training for a supervisory role. Here I learned and picked up hospitality and business essentials such as, revenue management, MIS and reporting, team building tactics, complaint handling, and most importantly the guest satisfaction index.

I was then presented with an opportunity to take up a position within the Sales & Marketing function, working as an Assistant Manager of Sales for the majestic ITC Grand Chola for 2.5 years. Being responsible for client relationship management, contracting and purchasing, business reporting, channels of business distribution, MICE, etc. was a new experience and great exposure to the corporate world.

I gained early in my career a passion for hospitality, but felt that continuing my career in India I would remain amongst a small network of people and not gain the cultural experiences and challenges I needed to succeed and develop on a global level.

I chose the Master of Global Business Management Degree offered by BMIHMS at Torrens University to help enable me to be a versatile and globally aware business manager. Choosing to study in Australia, I hope will give me the exposure to new people and people from all over the world.

You can find me staying active with friends when not working or studying. Cycling and cricket are two of my favourites.

In my personal time sport drives me. Cricket is a passion! I also take a keen interest in cycling and long distance running. Having completed a part of the Western Sydney Marathon, I am training myself to complete the SMH Half marathon and City2Surf.

With all the experience I am gathering, I am moving a step closer towards accomplishing my dream of someday being an entrepreneur and establishing my own boutique hotel – ‘Tranquil’.

Signing off for now, Nachiket