Seize the Day

Opportunities come in all shapes and sizes. Some will be convenient, and others will require you to venture a little further afield. One thing is certain though… it is up to you to take every opportunity. One person who is no stranger to seizing the day is Richard Ingson, a Pilipino Masters student – full of ambition, desire and drive.

Prior to pursuing postgraduate study in Australia, Richard forged an extensive career in the hospitality industry, primarily in sales and marketing, throughout the Philippines and Singapore. Richard’s career began in 2007 with the Subic chain of Quantum Hotels and Resorts as a Sales Coordinator. Over the next three years he learned a great deal about the industry and continued to grow his passion for the industry.

His values, combined with a desire to meet new people, explore the world and become immersed in new cultures is what ignited Richard’s search for opportunities overseas to further his career.

In 2010, Richard had the opportunity to move abroad, and found himself relocating to Singapore. He proceeded to work for various online travel agencies in both sales and marketing. The highlight for Richard was when he became the Business Development Manager for Vacation Singapore, a destination management company.

Richard says, “I am someone who believes that people deserve to enjoy the break they have worked hard for. This value reflected in my work, earning me the praise of my colleagues and supervisors.”

Richard says, “Singapore gave me a chance to learn what exceptional hospitality looks like in a highly progressive Asian country. But when I was looking to advance my career through education I wanted to adopt a global mindset, I set my sights on an internationally competitive city. I wanted to study in Australia, and especially in Sydney.”

Fast-forward to today and Richard is studying a Master Degree in International Hotel Management with BMIHMS at Torrens University. A degree that will help him gain a deeper understanding of the industry, hotel management and business operations.

“It will equip me with the right knowledge, capabilities and skills to help me pursue my dream of setting a global benchmark within a reputable hotel chain back in Manilla.”

Richard sees postgraduate study as the perfect platform to enhance is career prospects. The outcome which most excites him are leadership qualities; allowing him to become culturally aware, adaptive and flexible.

Upon graduation Richard says, “I am going to position myself for a senior managerial role, where I can apply what I have learnt and take every opportunity that comes my way.”

For more information about BMIHMS at Torrens University master degrees, click here.