My student journey in a real hotel

As a student, I had no idea what to expect on industry placement. What would it be like going to work in a real hotel as part of my degree? I am sharing my story with you to hopefully give you a better understanding about my placement.

This is my student journey of 6 months in a real hotel.

I was happy to accept a position within a Toga Far East Hotels property in Melbourne. I was interviewed and accepted the position of Receptionist at Travelodge Southbank, Melbourne.

As a regional NSW student from Dubbo, this was another move for me, previously working at IHG Intercontinental Sydney and now to Melbourne. I was lucky to experience this with friends, three other students from the Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) at Torrens University who were also using Melbourne as a base for their placements. We found an apartment together in St Kilda and we are enjoying both our work and time going out in Melbourne.

I work along-side, a team of talented and enthusiastic individuals, who deliver customer services to corporate and leisure guests, providing knowledge about the area and an efficient check-in/check-out process. During the day-to-day operations, effective communicate is imperative for the running of a smooth business. As I settle guest accounts on check out I am constantly communicating with the members across the business such as reservations, housekeeping and food and beverage to deliver an amazing stay for our guests.

Most recently, I have had the opportunity to work at TFE’s new sister property — Travelodge Docklands, as assistance to their team. It’s an amazing feeling, working for a brand that has people who understand hospitality and how to really go ‘above and beyond’ for their guests. From listening to guests about their day to helping them celebrating a milestone, I have been part of an amazing brand that really comes together. I am witnessing how positivity and personal actions impact our guests.

It hasn’t been easy, but the feeling of success and motivation from a well driven team with great management can do a lot to your self-esteem. This industry is all about people, and I have had the most amazing opportunities to work alongside the best of the best. Love TFE!

Till next time,

Jake

Jake Whitney is a second year Bachelor of Business student of BMIHMS at Torrens University, during his second placement he has taken the position of Receptionist at TFE Travelodge. To read more about Jake, see his video and/ or learn about our hospitality courses.