Indigenous Scholarship Key to Unlocking Ceria’s Management Career

For the past seven years, hospitality has been a big part of Ceria Dionysius’ life.

What began as a casual conversation over a drink has become one of the most satisfying career decisions she has ever made. Taking that leap into the exciting world of hospitality and hotels has seen Ceria find her passion, with the help and guidance of AccorHotels. After completing the Accor Indigenous Program – an introductory training program for those new to the industry – Ceria has spent the best part of her career working at Novotel Darling Harbour as a Food & Beverage Attendant.  

Fast-forward to 2017 and Ceria is ready to take that next step in her career and achieve her goal of becoming a manager.

Wanting to prepare herself for her next role, Ceria knew she would need to undertake some form of learning and training. With her goal at the forefront of her mind and a supportive network around her, she began to search for the right opportunity. In close consultation with her Aboriginal Employment Strategy Officer, Ceria soon became aware of a scholarship opportunity undertaking that would allow her to get the training she needed – a Diploma of International Hotel & Resort Management.

AccorHotels have an ongoing commitment to providing development and career opportunities to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders (appointing its first Indigenous General Manager earlier this year). In conjunction with BMIHMS at Torrens University, Accor offers a one-year diploma scholarship to Indigenous Australians who have proven their passion and dedication to the hospitality industry and are seeking formal qualifications to take their hotelier career to the next level.

“I think having something set aside for indigenous people as a pathway is really good,” Ceria says, highlighting the importance of development opportunities such as the Accor Indigenous Scholarship.

“Belinda, who works with the Aboriginal Employment Strategy team, has been great at asking me what I want from my career, getting me to think about my next role and outlining the long-term development opportunities available within Accor for Indigenous Australians.”

Having received a scholarship herself, Ceria is now living and studying at Leura Campus. Currently completing subjects in business management, food and beverage operations and career development, she is beginning to prepare for her six-month industry placement.

Ceria is excited to be learning again. “There is so much knowledge I need to learn to support myself and my career,” she says. “I am picking up a lot of tips and tricks from the lecturers and instructors on campus”.

Upon completion of her diploma, Ceria plans to look for a Food & Beverage Supervisor role, taking on more responsibility and continuing to challenge herself. Eventually Ceria would like to return to BMIHMS and complete the remainder of her bachelor degree in International Hotel and Resort Management. She intends to continue working for Accor when she graduates in 2018, staying within 3-4 star property.

She says, “people make the place, and I have worked with some great teams over the years with Accor”.

For more information about the Accor Indigenous Scholarship, click here.