Student Spotlight Honey Scowen

Hello! My name is Honey Scowen and I am a current Master’s student studying with BMIHMS at Torrens University. It is my absolute pleasure to be the BMIHMS Post Graduate Marketing Ambassador. My hope is to be able to share my experiences and passion for the hospitality industry, keeping you all informed and engaged.

Here’s a little bit about me…

Born in the Philippines, I moved to Australia with my family at the tender age of two. I grew up in picturesque Newcastle, NSW, home to beautiful beaches, rich Australian history with a lively food, music and art scene. I have always been an active and creative person and I believe that my love for sport, nature, music and food can be attributed to my humble beginnings. No matter where I live, I also try to keep in touch with my cultural heritage by being immersed in the local Filipino Australian Community.

I’m on the very right wearing traditional costume for the Filipiniana dance “Subli”.
Photo Credit: Bayanihan News

Funnily enough, my chosen career path was initially completely different to what it is now. Whilst studying a Bachelors of Health Science, I was working as a Food and Beverage Attendant at Holiday Inn, Darling Harbour. Little did I know, that I had started a career that would be with me for years to come.

Are you able to say that you have fallen in love with your job or the industry you work in?

I am one of the lucky people who can!

After a few years of working in F&B, my interest grew for hospitality and I deferred my studies in Health Science to work full-time within hotels. It’s safe to say that I have never looked back. I have worked with some of Australia’s leading hotel chains including IHG (Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn), Meriton Suites and AccorHotels (Novotel and Pullman). I now work full time as a Front Office Assistant Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park.

After having all this industry experience, I was interested to see how far my knowledge would take me, and decided to look into postgraduate study options. After only a quick enquiry and a meet and greet with a Course and Career Consultant at BMIHMS I was surprised at how efficient the application and acceptance process was. I may only be in the early stages of my degree but I am thoroughly enjoying the experience so far, both academically and socially.

I find the lecturers to hold a great wealth of experience with the industry, and are highly regarded. The Town Hall Campus has a high level of diversity and I have had the pleasure of meeting students from all across the globe.

I look forward to providing my insights to you all, and if you are a prospective student who is teetering on the edge of studying with BMIHMS at Torrens University… My only advice would be to take the first step and enquire! Start the conversation now and who knows where you will be in the near future!

Until next time,

Honey