Introducing Rei

My name is Rei Nakamura and I am currently a marketing ambassador studying at Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) at Torrens University. Now that I’m starting my third year on the Sydney Campus I wanted to share a little about myself and my experiences at Torrens University.

Being Japanese is essential to who I am. In Japan, there is a ryokan culture where the host conveys confidence by using centuries-old judgment, taste and service that have been tested by time to build a trust between themselves and the guest. ‘Omotenashi’ is not just about having or saying beautiful things, it’s about being natural, conveying warmth and knowing who you are and how important your guest is.

I chose the hospitality industry after watching a very respectable hotelier work. He is very elegant and humble in front of guests but would hustle behind the scenes. His willingness to sacrifice his time for the guest’s experience was something I deeply admired. It didn’t seem like guests came to the hotel for its overall facilities but instead they came for him to experience his hospitality. I wanted to further understand what it means to be a hotelier like that so I decided to study hospitality in Switzerland first and to continue in Australia at Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School. Watch my video.

Having grown up in an international environment in Kobe, Japan, and travelling to different countries, being exposed to different cultures is both a passion and a way of life. Surrounding myself in different cultures made me realise that there are infinite ways of seeing and creating. Food is an integral part of a country’s culture. Through my experience of working in various food and beverage outlets around the world I wish to explore service cultures of many different countries.

I look forward to sharing more stories about myself and the people I interact with while I am the marketing ambassador on the Sydney Campus.

When I left for Australia I was working at a French restaurant in Hokkaido, where I was working as a Food and Beverage attendant. I was lucky enough to dine here and have my manager wait on me.

Rei,
Bachelor of Business, International Hotel and Resort Management
Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School

Pictured: This is me eating lunch at Moliere, a 3 Michelin starred French restaurant, with my manager serving me.