Responsibility and Self-Discipline the Key to Success

Marketing Ambassador, Rei caught up with 2017 Rising star of the year, Benjamin Tan. Here is an excerpt from their conversation.

Were you very excited about receiving such an award shortly after graduating?

I was certainly humbled, as well as excited to be able to receive this award. It’s something to testify that my hard work and the pursuing of goals I have dedicated myself to is being recognised. This is something for my family to be proud of.

How was the transfer from Butler at Sydney Park Hyatt to a housekeeping role, to your current position at Meriton as Manager on Duty, Front office?

Life is short, so I like to take opportunities. For many international students, our time in Australia is extremely limited, hence it’s always good to be able to gain as much experience and exposure. Every hotel I have worked in thus far, has its lessons to be learnt and experiences gained. It’s like building a skyscraper and the foundation is the most important. With that being said, it’s not all that smooth sailing all the time as you will face challenges and setbacks in each journey. However, it’s always about learning and picking yourself up from when you fall. I keep making new friends and always listen to the people’s experiences and stories.

What important work ethics do you have that could guide a student about to graduate?

Responsibility and self-discipline.

It’s always important to be true to oneself as well as to build consistency – for yourself and to the people around you.

What advantage has studying with Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) given you?

What the university has offered me is connections. It is the key to building so many connections to alumni all around the world. Also, the experience of living together under one roof to study on Leura Campus.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

My goal in five years would be to become a general manager of an Art Series boutique hotel.

Thanks Benjamin.

Until next time, Rei.