“Get involved and you will be rewarded”

I am excited to bring you a three-part series, where three outstanding students at Leura Campus will be featured. It was difficult to choose who I would interview first. But I am delighted to introduce Kapitalina Starikova (Kapa). Originally from Russia, Kapa choose to pursue her career in the hospitality industry in Australia, with Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS). Read on as I share with you Kapa’s passion and determination to succeed as a future leader in our industry.

Kapa began her journey in the hospitality industry last April when she commenced studying with BMIHMS, after changing her course of study from public relations & advertising in Russia. The reason for her career change was so that Kapa could feed her intrigue for travel and to meet new people – whilst experiencing the culture and natural wonders of Australia. Check out her Instagram profile (@skv.sydney) and you will see that Kapa has made the most of her time whilst living in Australia so far. 

Now into her second year of study with BMIHMS, we reflected on her first Industry Placement (IP). When asked how the Success Coaches, Lecturers and Applied Trainers helped prepare her for her first IP Kapa replied,

“The hands-on practical learning in Chambers fine-dining training restaurant, coffee sessions in Cafe and shifts in Cascades restaurant taught me some very important skills to take into industry.”

“Being in such a multicultural environment on campus gave me an advantage when working in a world class international hotel in Sydney for my placement”

Kapa went on to tell me about her six-month placement at Marriott’s Pier One Sydney Harbour. She worked at the property as part of the food and beverage team in the award-winning Gantry Restaurant.

“I must say the highlight of my placement at Pier One was actually having the ability to display a professional level of service to customers in the boutique hotel style on which Pier One prides itself.”

Since returning for her second year of studies at Leura Campus, Kapa has made the most of the leadership opportunities on offer to students at BMIHMS. Most notably becoming a student Duty Manager. Kapa’s achievements have not gone unnoticed, after being nominated for the prestigious Three Pillars Award for Term 2, recognising students who display professional and personal growth, and a high level of practical skills development and academic achievement.

When asked what piece of advice she had for new students at Leura Campus… 

Kapa confidently replied, “Get involved with activities on campus, such as café nights, sports activities, and the Student Representative Council (SRC).”

“She also went on to say that it was the best way to make new friends and build connections whilst studying at BMIHMS. 

What does the future hold for such a motivated and professional student such? Well, Kapa wants to continue working in Australia (the country she has come to love so much) when she graduates and eventually become a General Manager, with a bit of travelling thrown into the mix as well. 

Keep an eye out for this talented professional in the future.

Until next time… Julian Loscher – Marketing Ambassador