Element | Scott Bear, Park Hyatt Sydney

Scott Bear graduated from Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) in 2017 with a Bachelor of International Hotel and Resort Management.

Scott completed his first industry placement (IP) at Park Hyatt Sydney. He gained experience in the food and beverage outlets as a waiter and bartender and also completed shifts in the fine dining restaurant and with the events team. This placement was an eye-opener. It was one of the first hands-on experiences Scott received in the hospitality industry.

“From day one of walking into Hyatt I felt at home and knew that this was the brand for me. Working in such a prestigious five-star hotel, I gained invaluable knowledge and was able to understand the expectations of a luxurious establishment.”

When the time came to go on his second IP, Scott was given the unique opportunity to travel overseas and work at the Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill.

“My second IP gave me the opportunity to travel overseas and step out of my comfort zone. Having never been to the UK and Europe I saw it as an opportunity to understand and experience different cultures within the workplace and whilst travelling.”

Upon graduating from BMHIMS, Scott was offered the Corporate Leadership Traineeship (CLT) with Park Hyatt, Sydney. The CLT is a 12-month training program where the successful applicant works across all departments in the hotel, and learning how it operates and functions from a managerial perspective.

“What I love about Park Hyatt is their standards, values, expectations and guest interaction which were the traits that hooked me to the brand. The brand aims to retain their employees by providing support and training programs to develop them – initiatives like their graduate program.”