Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) was founded by Fritz Grubler, a Swiss hotelier; Max Player and Robert Whittingham, Australian entrepreneurs and founders of Mawland Property Group. The first school in Australia to operate the internationally recognised Swiss hotel management program. BMIHMS soon after develops an educational model in which students live and study in a simulated hotel environment.
BMIHMS granted an advanced diploma status by VETAB.
Gavin Faull, President of Swiss-Belhotel International joins the BMIHMS ownership group.
Advanced Diploma program extended to a 3-year Bachelor of Arts in International Hospitality and Tourism Management awarded by Bournemouth University, UK.
Sign a 5-year agreement with University of New England (UNE) conferring a Bachelor of Commerce (Hospitality and Tourism Management) degree as part of School’s expanding curriculum.
Launches post-graduate programs as well as a tourism management strand within the undergraduate degree.
Bilateral partnership with Suzhou Tourism Schools, China, provides Diploma course on the Suzhou campus.
English Language Program commences on campus.
- First private education provider in Australia to receive international recognition as a quality educator by the World Tourism Organisation (WTO).
- Registered as a NSW Higher Education institution.
- Acquires the Australian International Hotel School (AIHS) in Canberra.
- Department of Education, Employment, and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) grants accreditation to the Bachelor of Business (Hotel Management) program
School undergoes major refurbishment and extension of campus facilities, and launches new strategic partnership with University of Queensland’s School of Tourism (the only other World Tourism Organisation accredited educator in Australia).
Joins Laureate International Universities, becoming part of a global education network.
Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School receives the prestigious Gold Award for Tourism Education and Training at the New South Wales Tourism Awards.
- Wins Education and Training Award at the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards, recognising Blue Mountains as the leader of hotel management education in Australia.
- Wins Best Communications, and Finalist in the Best Educational Innovation category at Worldwide Hospitality Awards in Paris.
- Awarded Silver for Tourism Education and Training at the New South Wales Tourism Awards 2010.
- Celebrates 20th anniversary and opens specialist business campus in downtown Sydney. Designs a Master of International Hotel Management program to start in 2012.
- Awarded Silver for Tourism Education and Training at the New South Wales Tourism Awards 2011.
- Ranked in the top three at the Worldwide Hospitality Awards in the ‘Best Education Innovation’ category.
- The first Master of International Hotel Management students start at the Blue Mountains Sydney campus.
- Blue Mountains Hotel School courses are introduced to partner institutions around the world.
- Ranked in the top three at the Worldwide Hospitality Awards in the ‘Best Professional Success’ category.
- Re-accreditation of Undergraduate courses and the accreditation of the Master of Global Business Management
- Ranked Number 1 Hotel Management School in Australia and Asia Pacific for an international career (TNS Survey 2013)
- Gold award winner at the 2013 Australian Tourism Awards for Tourism Education and Training
- BMIHMS launches the Bachelor of Business Degree in Restaurant and Catering Management
- Launch of BMIHMS Consulting Division
- Bronze award winner at the 2014 Australian Tourism Awards for Tourism Education and Training
Like to know more?
Arrange a time to speak with an education expert to find out more about studying with Australia’s longest running hotel school.