Element | Scott Bear, Park Hyatt Sydney

Scott Bear graduated from Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) in 2017 with a Bachelor of International Hotel and Resort Management. We spoke to Scott about his incredible industry placement (IP) experiences and the career path it created for him.

Scott completed his first industry placement at Park Hyatt Sydney. In his time at this esteemed and glamourous property, nestled in the shade of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Scott gained a wealth of experience in the food and beverage outlets. He worked as a waiter and bartender and even completed shifts in the fine dining restaurant and with the events team. This placement became an eye-opener as it was one of the first hands-on experiences Scott received in the hospitality industry. Scott told us,

“From day one of walking into Hyatt I felt at home and knew that this was the brand for me. Working in such a prestigious five-star hotel, I gained invaluable knowledge and was able to understand the expectations of a luxurious establishment.”

Certain industry placements see our students becoming completely in awe of their surroundings and the quality of leadership they are experiencing. Moreover, they are given support and priceless practical skills that help them start their career with momentum. Scott expressed, “What I love about Park Hyatt is their standards, values, expectations and guest interaction which were the traits that hooked me to the brand.”

When the time came to start his second IP, Scott was given the unique opportunity to travel overseas and work at the Hyatt Regency London, The Churchill. Having already become immersed in the brand, Scott grasped the opportunity to travel across the globe to learn more about the hospitality industry and luxury hotel management.

“My second IP gave me the opportunity to travel overseas and step out of my comfort zone. Having never been to the UK and Europe I saw it as an opportunity to understand and experience different cultures within the workplace and whilst travelling.”

Upon graduating from BMHIMS, Scott was offered the Corporate Leadership Traineeship (CLT) with Park Hyatt, Sydney. The CLT is a 12-month training program where the successful applicant works across all departments in the hotel, and learning how it operates and functions from a managerial perspective. This was an honour and a testament to his training, education, Scott’s professionalism and unwavering motivation.

“The brand aims to retain their employees by providing support and training programs to develop them – initiatives like their graduate program.”  Such initiatives lead to BMIHMS graduates having a competitive edge of their resumes, real-life experience and established industry connections to help them reach their career goals.